- Creating of new technological solutions that will enable economic growth, which responds to the needs of the Croatian economy.
- Improvement of Croatian technological and scientific levels relative to developed countries, i.e. improvement of the competitive ability in the medical services market.
- Stimulation of innovation that will improve the existing experimental system to the level of applicability in medical procedures. This will greatly contribute to the quality of health services and pave the way for the creation of products based on knowledge and high technology.
- Encouraging commercialization of research outputs, and the subsequent entry into the market of sophisticated medical technology (pending financial conditions for the commercialization of the project).
- Networking of Croatian researches from technical and medical university institutions through interdisciplinary teams, and their linking with the business sector.
- Increasing in research activities and capacities of public higher education institutions as consequence of investments in research equipment.
Implementation plan includes industrial research and experimental development phases.
Phase 1 –Industrial Research
Within the first phase, purchasing of new research equipment, and research involving continuous relative robot navigation will be conducted. Exploring the possibilities and limitations for implementation of standard industrial robots for use in medical procedures, and the development of protocols and equipment for human-robot interaction (HRI) are also part of the first phase. Aforementioned researches will be conducted at FMENA and the University Hospital Dubrava (UHD). The partner company will address the control program optimization and parallelization, improvement of communication protocols, the development of new pre-operative planning software, improving the program interface, and development of computational simulation for the verification of system operation. Based on the results of research conducted in Phase 1, the appropriate robot type will be selected and control methods for use in commercial version of the product will be developed.
Phase 2 – Industrial Research
The second phase includes manufacturing of engineered parts, tools, electronics, the stand of the system, and the design of the visual identity of the system. In parallel, clinical trials and dissemination activities will be conducted. As a result, the confirmation of research objectives and a fully operational prototype of robotic system for commercial applications in neurosurgery are expected.
- Commercial prototype of robotic system for neurosurgical applications,
- Educational robotic system for medical staff training,
- Confirmation of project achievements through the clinical trials,
- Mastering new skills and introduction of new technologies in medical practice,
- Development of technological and scientific competencies in robotics in Croatia.
Development and testing of a commercial prototype robotic system for use in neurosurgery
- Implementation of appropriate industrial robots due to their reliability, accuracy and reproducibility,
- Research and implementation of continuous relative navigation of the robot using stereovision system,
- Development of robotic artificial skin and accompanying control algorithms for seamless interaction with humans,
- Creating appealing visual identity of the system,
- Design and manufacture of removable mobile platform,
- Development of central control software,
- Development of security software layers,
- Development of new software for the pre-operative planning of surgical procedures,
- Design of intuitive program interface for end users,
- Virtualization of system operation,
- Development and manufacture of a prototype of commercial robotic system.
Engineering and testing of the educational robot system prototype for use in neurosurgery.
Training medical personnel to use the system.
- The implementation of clinical trials at UHD using prototype research robot cell.
Promotion of products and projects
- Presentation of the project through the press conferences for media and professional audience,
- Attending medical conferences and presentation of the prototype,
- Open days,
- Publication of scientific papers in international journals.
Product protection and patent application
- Patent application.